Thursday 4 October 2012

tutorial: ribbon toy



I don't know about you other mummas but I'm always trying to find new things for Harry to do or play with. Whilst at mumma and baby group a couple of weeks back Harry was rather taken with a simple ribbon toy and instead of searching and buying one I thought to myself, I could probably make one of those and so that's what I did.

It's a pretty simple plaything which I have imaginatively called a 'ribbon toy' but Harry loves it. He chews it, sucks it, chews it, twists it around his fingers, chews it, puts it on his arm, chews it, and loves being tickled with it and being inspired by many other mummy bloggers I thought I'd include a tutorial even though it is a really simple to make toy.

For this toy:

1. different lengths of colourful ribbon. Be aware of the lengths of ribbon! (Too long could wrap around the neck!) 
2. a plastic hoop. When I bought this I was in a craft shop and looking for an embroidery hoop (not for this job) but came across this in a bargain bin. Ask in your local craft shop.
3. matches.

 



Begin by taking each ribbon and threading it through the hoop. Tie a double knot to secure it to the hoop.

I made sure I had equal length of ribbon each side but you don't have to.


 
Once you have threaded all the ribbon through you need to stop each end from fraying. You can use a match for this.

Hold the match close to but not on the end of the ribbon. You will see it begin to melt. Do this until the end is sealed. You should feel a ridge when you pull on the end and there will be no loose threads.
WARNING: the end of the ribbon will be sticky like wax for a few seconds so be careful where you place it.


 And there you have it. I told you it was very simple!


I'll leave you with a few photos of my baby enjoying it!







No comments:

Post a Comment